- Erik M. Shapiro, Ph.D.
- Andrea Bozoki, M.D.
- Joseph Carlson, Ph.D.
- Assaf Gilad, Ph.D.
- Roger Haut, Ph.D.
- Jie Huang, Ph.D.
- Eric P. Kasten, Ph.D.
- Anna Moore, Ph.D.
- Ronald Meyer, Ph.D.
- Galit Pelled, Ph.D.
- Chunqi Qian, Ph.D.
- Jill Slade, Ph.D.
- Ping, Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
- Feng Wei, Ph.D.
- Robert Wiseman, Ph.D.
- David C. Zhu, Ph.D.
- Kurt R. Zinn, Ph.D.
Assaf Gilad, Ph.D.
Department of Radiology
846 Service Rd Rm 184
B.A.: Biology, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Rehovot, Israel
M.Sc.: Life Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Ph.D.: Life Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Post-doc: Department of Radiology at JHU
Dr. Assaf Gilad Ph.D. is a biologist by training with extensive background in MRI. He is a Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Radiology. He is also the Chief of the Division of Synthetic Biology and Regenerative Medicine at the Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering (IQ) at Michigan State University. Until August of 2017, he was an Associate Professor at the Department of Radiology at Johns Hopkins University (JHU) School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. The overarching theme of his research program harnesses the intersection of radiology and molecular biology to develop new in vivo imaging technologies that can be used to tackle fundamental biological questions. Specifically, he works to develop novel genetically encoded and nanoparticles biosensors for both MRI detection and neuromodulation. He received a B.A. (1996) from the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel, and M.Sc., (1999) and Ph.D. (2004) in Biology from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel (advisor: Prof. Michal Neeman). He spent three years conducting postdoctoral research in the Department of Radiology at JHU (advisors: Profs. Peter van Zijl and Jeff Bulte). In 2007 he joined the Radiology at JHU department as a faculty member.
Top Selected Publications
- 1. Gross S*, Gilead A*, Scherz A, Neeman M, Salomon Y. Nature Medicine. 2003 (10):1327-31.
- 2. Gilad AA, McMahon MT, Walczak P, Winnard PT Jr, Raman V, van Laarhoven HW, Skoglund CM, Bulte JW, van Zijl PC. Nature Biotechnology. 2007 ;25(2):217-9.
- 3. Kim T, Momin E, Choi J, Yuan K, Zaidi H, Kim J, Park M, Lee N, McMahon MT, Quinones-Hinojosa A, Bulte JW, Hyeon T, Gilad AA**. J Am Chem Soc. 2011 ;133(9):2955-61.
- 4. Liu G, Liang Y, Bar-Shir A, Chan KW, Galpoththawela CS, Bernard SM, Tse T, Yadav NN, Walczak P, McMahon MT, Bulte JW, van Zijl PC, Gilad AA**. J Am Chem Soc. 2011 ;133(41):16326-9.
- 5. Bar-Shir A, Liu G, Liang Y, Yadav NN, McMahon MT, Walczak P, Nimmagadda SR, Pomper MG, Tallman KA, Greenberg MM, van Zijl PC, Bulte JW, Gilad AA.** Transforming thymidine into a magnetic resonance imaging probe for monitoring gene expression. J Am Chem Soc. 2013. 135, 1617-24. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23289583.
- 6. Bar-Shir A, Liu G, Greenberg MM, Bulte JW, Gilad AA**. Synthesis of a probe for monitoring HSV1-tk reporter gene expression using chemical exchange saturation transfer MRI. Nature Protocols. 2013 Dec;8(12):2380-91. doi: 10.1038/nprot.2013.140. Epub 2013 Oct 31. PubMed PMID: 24177294.