Professor Department of Radiology
Director of Nuclear Medicine Department of Biomedical Engineering
BioEngineering Facility - IQ Rm. 4118
775 Woodlot Drive
B.A.: Chemistry, University of Missouri
D.V.M.: Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri - Licensure: 1986 - Present
M.S.: Chemsitry, University of Missouri
Ph.D.: Biochemistry, University of Missouri
Kurt R. Zinn, D.V.M., M.S., Ph.D., completed his undergraduate studies in Chemistry (B.A.) at the University of Missouri-Columbia (UMC), followed by vetrinary medicine (D.V.M.) and graduate education at UMC where he earned his M.S. (Chemistry) and Ph.D. (Biochemistry) degrees. He joined the UAB Radiology faculty in 1995 after nine years as a scientist at the UMC Research Reactor where he developed methods for producing high specific activity radionuclides, including Cu-64.
Dr. Zinn was Professor of Radiology at UAB from 2003-2017, also serving as Director of UAB's Laboratory of Multimodality Imaging (2007-2017) and the Small Animal Imaging Share Facility (2003-2017). He served as a member of the UAB Radioisotope and Radiation Safety Committee from 1997-2017, and Chair of the committee from 2008-2017. Dr. Zinn served as Director of Radiology's Division of Advanced Medical Imaging Research from 2009-2017 and Vice-Chair of Translational Research from 2015-2017. Dr. Zinn was a member of the UAB Graduate Faculty and provided research training for M.S. and Ph.D students.
Dr. Zinn received the Distinguished Investigator Award from the Academy of Radiology Research in 2015. His research includes the development of molecular imaging approaches for cancer diagnosis, treatment monitoring, and threapy. Dr. Zinn has contributed significantly to more than ten phase I clinical trials.
List of awards:
- Curator's Scholar, University of Missouri
- Outstanding Graduat Student Teaching Award (1989)
- Southern Societies Young Faculty Award
- Benedict Cassen Fellowship Award (renewal)
- Elected CHair, Institute for Molecular Imaging, Academy of Molecular Imaging
- Re-elected Chair, Institute of Molecular Imaging, Academy of Molecular Imaging
- Distinguished Investigator Award, Academy of Radiology Research
- Zinn KR, Zinn GM, Jesse GW, Mayes HF, Ellersieck MR. Correlation of noninvasive surface temperature measurement with rectal temperature in swine. American Journal of Veterinary Research 46(6): 1372-1374, 1985.
- Zinn KR, Glascock MD, Schmidt DA. Instrumental neutron activation analysis of canine urinary calculi for some selected elements. American Journal of Veterinary Research 47(12): 2536-2538, 1986.
- Mathias CJ, Welch MJ, Raichle MR, Mintun MA, Lich LL, McGuire AH, Zinn KR, John EK, Green MA. Evaluation of a potential generator - Produced PET tracer for cerebral perfusion imaging: Single-pass cerebral extraction measurements and imaging with radiolabeled Cu-PTSM. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 31(3): 351-359, 1990.
- McElroy ST, Link JE, Dowdy RP, Zinn KR, Ellersieck MR. Influence of age and magnesium on calcium metabolism. Journal of Nutrition 121(4): 492-497, 1991.
- Zinn KR, Morris JS, Fairfax CA, Berliner RR, Liu HB, Brugger RM. The development of a rectilinear scanner utilizing high resolution Gamma-ray detection. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Articles. 157(1): 15-25, 1992.
- Anderson CJ, Connett JM, Schwarz SW, Rocque PA, Guo LW, Philpott GW, Zinn KR, Meares CF, Welch MJ. Copper-64 labeled antibodies for PET imaging. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 33(9): 1685-1691, 1992.
- Prohaska JR, Sunde RA, Zinn KR. Livers from Copper-deficient rats have lower Glutathione peroxidase activity and mRNA levels but normal liver selenium levels. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 3: 429-436, 1992.
- Ehrhardt GJ, Symes S, Guimon RK, Zinn KR. Radioisotope generators for nuclear medicine based on Fajans absorption on glass microspheres. Nuclear Science and Engineering 110(4): 369-373, 1992.
- Anderson CJ, Schwarz SW, Rocque PA, Connett JM, Guo LW, Philpott GW, Zinn KR, Meares CF, Welch MJ. Copper-64-labeled antibodies for PET imaging. Journal of Labeled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals 32: 368-369, 1993.
- Chaudhuri TR, Zinn KR, Morris JS, McDonald GA, Llorens AS, Chaudhuri TK. Detection of ovarian cancer by Au-198-labeled human monoclonal antibody. Cancer 73(3 Suppl): 878-83, 1994.
Other Departmental/Program Affiliations:
Director of Nuclear Medicine at the Department of Radiology
Professor at the Department of Radiology
Professor at the Department of Biomedical Engineering