- Erik M. Shapiro, Ph.D.
- Andrea Bozoki, M.D.
- Joseph Carlson, Ph.D.
- Ming Chen, Ph.D.
- Assaf Gilad, Ph.D.
- Roger Haut, Ph.D.
- Jie Huang, Ph.D.
- Eric P. Kasten, Ph.D.
- Ronald Meyer, Ph.D.
- Anna Moore, Ph.D.
- Galit Pelled, Ph.D.
- Erich Petushek, Ph.D.
- Chunqi Qian, Ph.D.
- Lorenzo Sempere, Ph.D.
- Jill Slade, Ph.D.
- Ping, Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
- Feng Wei, Ph.D.
- Robert Wiseman, Ph.D.
- David C. Zhu, Ph.D.
- Kurt R. Zinn, Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering
Director of Nuclear Medicine
Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering
BioEngineering Facility - IQ Rm. 4118
775 Woodlot Drive
East Lansing, MI 48824
B.A.: Chemistry, University of Missouri
D.V.M.: Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri - Licensure: 1986 - Present
M.S.: Chemsitry, University of Missouri
Ph.D.: Biochemistry, University of Missouri
Kurt R. Zinn, D.V.M., M.S., Ph.D., completed his undergraduate studies in Chemistry (B.A.) at the University of Missouri-Columbia (UMC), followed by vetrinary medicine (D.V.M.) and graduate education at UMC where he earned his M.S. (Chemistry) and Ph.D. (Biochemistry) degrees. He joined the UAB Radiology faculty in 1995 after nine years as a scientist at the UMC Research Reactor where he developed methods for producing high specific activity radionuclides, including Cu-64.
Dr. Zinn was Professor of Radiology at UAB from 2003-2017, also serving as Director of UAB's Laboratory of Multimodality Imaging (2007-2017) and the Small Animal Imaging Share Facility (2003-2017). He served as a member of the UAB Radioisotope and Radiation Safety Committee from 1997-2017, and Chair of the committee from 2008-2017. Dr. Zinn served as Director of Radiology's Division of Advanced Medical Imaging Research from 2009-2017 and Vice-Chair of Translational Research from 2015-2017. Dr. Zinn was a member of the UAB Graduate Faculty and provided research training for M.S. and Ph.D students.
Dr. Zinn received the Distinguished Investigator Award from the Academy of Radiology Research in 2015. His research includes the development of molecular imaging approaches for cancer diagnosis, treatment monitoring, and threapy. Dr. Zinn has contributed significantly to more than ten phase I clinical trials.
List of awards:
- Curator's Scholar, University of Missouri
- Outstanding Graduat Student Teaching Award (1989)
- Southern Societies Young Faculty Award
- Benedict Cassen Fellowship Award (renewal)
- Elected CHair, Institute for Molecular Imaging, Academy of Molecular Imaging
- Re-elected Chair, Institute of Molecular Imaging, Academy of Molecular Imaging
- Distinguished Investigator Award, Academy of Radiology Research
- 1. Oh P, Borgström P, Wikiewicz H, Li Y, Borgström BJ, Chrastina A, Iwata K, Zinn KR, Baldwin R, Testa JE, Schnitzer JE. Live dynamic imaging of caveolae pumping targeted antibody rapidly and specifically across endothelium in the lung. Nat Biotechnol 25 (3): 327-37, 2007. PMCID: PMC1979160
- Zinn KR, Chaudhuri TR, Szafran AA, O'Quinn D, Weaver C, Dugger K, Lamar D, Kesterson RA, Wang X, Frank SJ. Noninvasive bioluminescence imaging in small animals. ILAR J 49 (1): 103-15, 2008. PMCID: PMC2614121
- Szafran AA, Folks K, Warram J, Chanda D, Wang D, Zinn KR. Death receptor 5 agonist TRA8 in combination with the bisphosphonate zoledronic acid attenuated the growth of breast cancer metastasis. Cancer Biol Ther 8(12):1109-16, 2009. PMCID PMC4384463
- Warram JM, Borovjagin AV, and Zinn KR. A genetic strategy for combined screening and localized imaging of breast cancer. Mol Imaging Biol 13(3): 452-61, 2011. PMCID PMC4359509
- Warram JM, Sorace AG, Saini R, Borovjagin AV, Hoyt K, Zinn KR. Systemic delivery of a breast cancer-detecting adenovirus using targeted microbubbles. Can Gene Ther 19(8):545-52, 2012. PMCID: PMC3417243
- Richter JR, Mahoney M, Warram JM, Samuel S, Zinn KR. A Dual-Reporter, Diagnostic Vector for Detection and Localization of Prostate Cancer. Gene Ther 21(10):897-902, 2014. PMCID: PMC4350933
- Zinn KR, Korb M, Samuel S, Warram JM, Dion D, Killingsworth C, Fan J, Schoeb T, Strong T, Rosenthal EL. IND-Directed Safety and Biodistribution Study of Intravenously Injected Cetuximab-IRDye800 in Cynomolgus Macaques. Mol Imaging Biol 17(1):49-57, 2015. PMCID: PMC4318248
- Rosenthal EL, Warram JM, de Boer E, Chung TK, Korb ML, Brandwein-Gensler M, Strong TV, Schmalbach C, Morlandt A, Agarwal G, Hartman YE, Carroll W, Richman JS, Clemons L, Nabell LM, Zinn KR. Safety and Tumor-specificity of Cetuximab-IRDye800 for Surgical Navigation in Head and Neck Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 21(16): 3658-66, 2015.PMCID PMC4909371
- Kasten BB, Azure MT, Schoeb TR, Fisher DR, Zinn KR. Imaging, biodistribution, and toxicology evaluation of 212Pb-TCMC-trastuzumab in nonhuman primates, Nuc Med Biol 43(7):391-396, 2016.
- Kasten BB, Arend RC, Katre AA, Kim H, Fan J, Ferrone S, Zinn KR, Buchsbaum DJ. B7-H3-targeted 212Pb radioimmunotherapy of ovarian cancer in preclinical models. Nucl Med Biol 47:23-30, 2017. PMID: 28104527
Other Departmental/Program Affiliations:
Director of Nuclear Medicine at the Department of Radiology
Professor at the Department of Radiology
Professor at the Department of Biomedical Engineering